Charles Idahosa, a member of the Board of Trustees for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) representing the South-South geopolitical zone, has praised the verdict of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal.
This verdict confirmed the election of President Bola Tinubu.
Speaking in Benin City during an event marking his 70th birthday, Idahosa, a former Commissioner for Information in Edo State, described the judgement as “perfect.”
He criticised the influence of social media on the election, noting the spread of unverifiable news.
Idahosa also commented on the upcoming 2024 Edo State governorship election, expressing confidence in its fairness due to the introduction of BVAS, which has made rigging more challenging.
The affirmation of President Bola Tinubu’s election by the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal is a significant milestone in Nigeria’s democratic journey.
Idahosa’s endorsement of the verdict reflects the sentiment of many who believe in the integrity of the electoral process.
However, his concerns about the role of social media in shaping public opinion during elections are valid. The unchecked spread of misinformation can undermine the democratic process.
As Nigeria approaches future elections, it’s crucial to address these challenges to ensure that the voice of the electorate remains untainted and genuine.
Did You Know?
- The Presidential Election Petition Tribunal is a judicial body responsible for hearing disputes arising from presidential elections.
- The influence of social media on elections is a global concern, with many countries implementing measures to combat fake news.
- Edo State, located in southern Nigeria, has a rich cultural and historical heritage.
- BVAS (Bimodal Voter Accreditation System) is a technological solution introduced to enhance the credibility of elections in Nigeria.
- Fair and transparent elections are foundational to a thriving democracy, ensuring that the people’s will is accurately represented.