The All Progressives Congress (APC), Nigeria’s ruling party, has initiated the electronic registration of its members, aiming to consolidate its membership base in preparation for the 2027 general elections.
This announcement was made by the National Chairman of the APC, Dr. Abdullahi Ganduje, during a meeting with a delegation of elected Deputy National Officers and National Executive Committee members in Abuja.
This move comes two years after a nationwide membership registration exercise was conducted by the Mai Mala Buni-led National Caretaker Committee, which reported the party’s membership to be over 40 million.
Dr. Ganduje emphasised the importance of this digital initiative to accurately capture the party’s current membership. He also expressed concerns over the disparity between the number of registered members and the votes the party received in the 2023 presidential election.
The APC’s decision to embark on electronic registration is a significant step towards modernising the party’s operations and ensuring transparency in its membership data.
In an era where digitalisation is paramount, such initiatives are crucial for political parties to maintain accurate records and engage effectively with their members.
The discrepancy highlighted by Dr. Ganduje between registered members and actual votes is a concern that needs addressing. It’s essential for political parties to not only register members but also to engage and mobilise them actively.
The proposed National Institute of Democratic Studies is another commendable initiative, reflecting the party’s commitment to strengthening democratic values and political ideology in Nigeria.
Did You Know?
- The All Progressives Congress (APC) is one of Nigeria’s two major political parties, with the other being the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
- Dr. Abdullahi Ganduje, the National Chairman of the APC, previously served as the Governor of Kano State.
- Electronic registration systems are becoming increasingly popular worldwide, offering a more efficient and transparent method of maintaining membership databases.
- The APC’s move towards digitalisation aligns with global trends, where political parties are leveraging technology to enhance their operations and outreach.
- The 2027 general elections will mark another crucial moment in Nigeria’s democratic journey, with political parties gearing up for the contest.