Super Eagles’ star striker Victor Osimhen has earned a nomination for the esteemed 2023 Best FIFA Player of the Year award. Osimhen finds himself in elite company, nominated alongside football giants like Lionel Messi, Erling Haaland, Kevin De Bruyne, and Kylian Mbappe.
The award’s recipient will be determined through votes cast by an international jury, which includes national team captains and coaches, journalists, and fans globally. The grand announcement is slated for the FIFA The Best Awards ceremony on January 17, 2024.
Notably, Osimhen was also a contender for the 2023 Ballon d’Or award, further solidifying his position as one of football’s rising stars.
The Meteoric Rise of Victor Osimhen
The nomination of Victor Osimhen for the 2023 Best FIFA Player of the Year award is a testament to his exceptional talent and dedication to the sport. Osimhen’s rise to the top echelons is inspiring and commendable in a world where established names dominate football.
His nomination alongside legends like Messi and Mbappe speaks volumes about his potential and the expectations placed upon him. For Nigeria, this is a moment of pride as one of their own stands shoulders to shoulder-with the best in the world.
It’s crucial now, more than ever, for young talents to receive the support and guidance they need to navigate the pressures of international acclaim.
Did You Know?
- Victor Osimhen began his professional football career at the Nigerian club Ultimate Strikers Academy.
- 2015 Osimhen helped Nigeria win the FIFA U-17 World Cup, finishing as the tournament’s top scorer.
- Osimhen’s transfer to Napoli in 2020 was one of history’s most expensive African player transfers.
- The FIFA Player of the Year award was first introduced in 1991, with German player Lothar Matthäus as its inaugural winner.
- The award merges votes from football professionals and fans, ensuring a balanced and comprehensive decision-making process.